Pregnancy and Chiropractic
During pregnancy, a woman’s body goes through many changes and one of the most significant is the physical changes that take place as the baby grows. A woman’s center of gravity shifts forward, her pelvis is tilted, and her muscles in her low back begin to shorten and tighten. Their hamstrings and gluteal muscles become weak, which in turn causes an imbalance in the female pelvis and lower back. These often cause a woman pain in her low back, pelvic, and abdominal region. Hormonal changes causing headaches early on in pregnancy is also common. Pelvic imbalances not only causes pain for a woman, but can increase the tension in the ligaments that support the growing uterus and may create a smaller space for the baby to grow and move.
When pain is experienced in pregnancy it makes it difficult for a woman to know how to treat those symptoms safely. Over the counter pain relievers can have negative side effects. Chiropractic can offer a more holistic and natural way to decrease pain. Chiropractic works with the body’s ability to function and adapt the way it is designed to.
FIVE Ways chiropractic can help the mother in pregnancy:
1. Adjusting the pelvic complex and low back creates balance in the pelvic bony structures, muscles and ligaments.
2. Balance better prepares the pelvis for easier pregnancy and birth with less pain.
3. Reduced muscular and ligament tension
4. Increases maternal function, which decreases the potential need for unnecessary interventions.
5. Reduced nerve interference from the mother’s nervous system, which is ultimately controlling the baby’s nervous system; allowing for better development.
How chiropractic helps the growing baby:
- Pelvic balance allows the baby greater room to develop without restrictions to its forming cranium, spine and other skeletal structures.
- Offers the baby the room to move into the best possible position for birth.
- With proper fetal positioning, there is a significant decrease in dystocia** and the resulting birth trauma caused by intervention.
**Dystocia= abnormal progress in labor
Dr. Erica and Dr. Chris at Life Aligned Chiropractic in Queen Creek, AZ offer a space where new and expecting mother’s can feel comfortable. They offer a variety of adjusting techniques, pillows, specific tables, and nutritional advice for mothers in all stages of pregnancy. Massage therapy is also an excellent option to decrease tension in a pregnant woman’s changing body. Megan with Calm Blossom Massage, located in Life Aligned Chiropractic, has worked with many prenatal patients as well and works to deliver massage therapy for a mom’s specific needs at her stage of pregnancy. At Life Aligned Chiropractic we will work with your primary care physician, midwife, doulas and the entire team behind your pregnancy to make sure the mother and her healthy pregnancy is first priority.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to call or stop in for a consultation with one of the docs to discuss how chiropractic can best fit in with your pregnancy. Remember, a mother’s body is incredibly intelligent and to trust how you feel about any healthcare decisions during this beautiful journey in life.
Life Aligned Chiropractic is located in Queen Creek, AZ and provides chiropractic care to the local area including, San Tan Valley, Mesa, Apache Junction, Gilbert and Chandler.